"Mission reminds the Church that she is not an end unto herself, but a humble instrument and mediation of the Kingdom." - Pope Francis
Each year during Lent, Seton Parish conducts a parish mission to renew, reenergize, and spiritually strengthen our parishioners. Typically, each mission lasts three or four evenings and a visiting speaker engages our parish by focusing on a relevant topic.
The topic for our 2018 parish mission was "The Joy of Love" by Pope Francis. This is a beautiful book by our Holy Father that focuses on love within the family. To prepare ourselves, we conducted a parish wide book study and read a chapter a week leading up to the parish mission.
The actual mission covered several parts of the book over three evenings.
Sunday, March 4
At 6:00 p.m. we conducted a soup supper and fellowship in Herrmann Hall. At 7:00 p.m. in the church, Dr. Perry Cahall offered insights on “Love and Marriage” (Chapter 4). Dr. Cahall is Professor of Historical Theology and Academic Dean of the School of Theology at the Pontifical College Josephinum.
Monday, March 5
At 7:00 p.m., a panel of clergy discussed and answered parishioner questions for "Accompanying, Discerning and Integrating Weakness" (Chapter 8). The panel featured Fr. Leo Connolly, Fr. Charlie Klinger, and Deacon Phil Paulucci.
Tuesday, March 6
At 7:00 p.m., Fr. Pat Gaughan devlivered a talk on forgiveness, followed by a penance service.
Study Guides for "The Joy of Love"
- Chapter One - "In the Light of the World"
- Chapter Two - "The Experiences and Challenges of Families"
- Chapter Three - "Looking to Jesus: The Vocation of the Family"
- Chapter Four - "Love In Marriage"
- Chapter Five - "Love Made Fruitful"
- Chapter Six - "Some Pastoral Perspectives"
- Chapter Seven - "Toward a Better Education of Children"
- Chapter Eight - "Accompanying, Discerning and Integrating Weakness"
- Chapter Nine - "The Spirituality of Marriage and Family"
Previous Parish Missions
- 2017 - Fr. John Grayden and Joanne Kinney, "Treasure Yourself"
Do you have questions or comments about our parish mission? Please contact Liz Christy for additional information.